Local Employment Trends December 2016
- The Current Population Survey (or “household survey”), which collects monthly employment data from U.S. households.
- The Current Employment Statistics Survey (or “employer survey”), which collects monthly jobs and industry data from private employers.
- Chicago’s unemployment rate declined slightly from 6.0 in December 2015 to 5.9 in December 2016
- The number of employed Chicago (city) residents increased by 2,959 compared to the year prior, from 1,277,016 in December 2015 to an estimated 1,279,975 in December 2016.
- Unemployed Chicago (city) residents decreased by 1,912 compared to the year prior, from 81,814 in December 2015 to an estimated 79,902 in December 2016.
Note: Rates are not adjusted for seasonality, and should be compared year-over-year. City selection based on size and availability of data.
According to payroll job estimates from IDES, private sector employers located in the city of Chicago have added an estimated 14,581 jobs since December 2015. The largest gains were in the leisure and hospitality (+6,523), transportation, warehousing and utilities (+4,155), and professional and business services (+3,132) sectors.
The following table summarizes private employer payroll estimates. Data is not seasonally adjusted.
Jobs by Industry
City of Chicago (Not Seasonally Adjusted)
|Leisure and Hospitality||135,425||141,948||6,523|
|Transportation, Warehousing, and Utilities||75,397||79,552||4,155|
|Professional and Business Services||284,425||287,557||3,132|
|Natural Resources and Mining||258||246||-12|
|Educational and Health Services||249,749||249,693||-56|
Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot & World Business Chicago Announce the Inaugural Chicago Venture Summit Future-of-Food
More than 600 founders, Fortune 500 leaders, and investors are attending Chicago’s flagship food innovation conference hosted by World Business Chicago. CHICAGO, May 26, 2022 – Chicago Mayor Lori
The Rattan L. Khosa SeedCon is Chicago Booth’s flagship entrepreneurship and venture capital conference. As the world seemed to stand still amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, investors, entrepreneurs, an
World Business Chicago Partners with Global Fintech Leader tastytrade for ThinkChicago Fintech Summit
“Innovation is the many years of study and analysis, which then finds itself in the path of an emerging opportunity” -Linwood Ma, tastytrade CTO World Business Chicago was proud to…
CBO Collective Announces $1 Million Grant from Google.org to Provide Job Placement and Support to Jobseekers from Under-Resourced Chicago Communities
CHICAGO — The Community Based Organization Collective today announced a $1 million grant from Google.org to help place hundreds of jobseekers on Chicago’s South and West sides into in-demand caree