Local Employment Trends December 2015
- The city of Chicago posted a preliminary unemployment rate of 6.1% before seasonal adjustment – this is identical to the December 2014 rate.
- Unemployed Chicago residents increased by 698 compared to the year prior (from 82,618 to an estimated 83,316 in December 2015).
- The Chicago (city) economy has contracted by an estimated 530 private jobs since December 2014, mostly attributed to leisure and hospitality (-2,340) and manufacturing
- (-3,275) industries. Despite the contraction, other industries continue to grow. The professional and business services (+3,659) and construction (+1,365) industries experienced the most year-over-year job growth.
- The number of employed Chicago (city) residents decreased by 3,358 compared to the year prior (from 1,278,994 in December 2014 to an estimated 1,275,456 in December 2015).
Chaired by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, World Business Chicago is the public-private partnership leading the Plan for Economic Growth and Jobs in order to drive business development, cultivate talent, and put Chicago at the forefront of the global economy.
WBC’s “Economic Briefs” track indicators from month to month to gauge the strength of several aspects of Chicago’s economy, including unemployment, population, venture capital, job openings and new hires, home sales, tourism, etc. This data provides a clear analytic framework for specific Plan strategies and initiatives. For a summary of these and other economic indicators, refer to WBC’s monthly Chicago By The Numbers.
Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot & World Business Chicago Announce the Inaugural Chicago Venture Summit Future-of-Food
More than 600 founders, Fortune 500 leaders, and investors are attending Chicago’s flagship food innovation conference hosted by World Business Chicago. CHICAGO, May 26, 2022 – Chicago Mayor Lori
The Rattan L. Khosa SeedCon is Chicago Booth’s flagship entrepreneurship and venture capital conference. As the world seemed to stand still amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, investors, entrepreneurs, an
World Business Chicago Partners with Global Fintech Leader tastytrade for ThinkChicago Fintech Summit
“Innovation is the many years of study and analysis, which then finds itself in the path of an emerging opportunity” -Linwood Ma, tastytrade CTO World Business Chicago was proud to…
CBO Collective Announces $1 Million Grant from Google.org to Provide Job Placement and Support to Jobseekers from Under-Resourced Chicago Communities
CHICAGO — The Community Based Organization Collective today announced a $1 million grant from Google.org to help place hundreds of jobseekers on Chicago’s South and West sides into in-demand caree