Chicago Tourism Metrics, May 2016
Making Chicago a premier destination for tourism and entertainment is a major part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Plan for Economic Growth & Jobs that WBC is implementing to drive growth in Chicago. Choose Chicago, the official destination marketing organization for Chicago, also plays an integral role in economic growth by attracting business and leisure visitors to the city.
The following points summarize recent hotel and air passenger trends for Chicago:
- Hotel room demand in the Central Business District was a 1,013,063 rooms occupied in May, a 0.8% decrease from 1,021,309 rooms a year ago.
- The overall average daily rate (ADR) was $225.86 in May, down from $254.90 in May 2015.
- The Chicago Central Business District has 115 hotel properties comprising more than 39,000 rooms. Recently opened hotels include AC by Marriott (217 rooms), the Hyatt Place Chicago/Downtown-The Loop (206 rooms) and the Loews Chicago Hotel (400 rooms).
- More than 3,100 new rooms are expected to open in the next two years, including the Viceroy Hotel (2017), Marriott Marquis Chicago (1,200 rooms, 2017), Sheraton (175 rooms, 2017), and Hilton Garden Inn (200 rooms, 2017).
- O’Hare – the world’s busiest airport in terms of flight operations – and Midway International airports served a combined 8.23 million air passengers in April 2016, a 1.4% increase over last April.
Average daily rate and room demand trends are illustrated in the following charts:
Chaired by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, World Business Chicago is the public-private partnership leading the Plan for Economic Growth and Jobs in order to drive business development, cultivate talent, and put Chicago at the forefront of the global economy.
WBC’s “Economic Briefs” track indicators from month to month to gauge the strength of several aspects of Chicago’s economy, including unemployment, population, venture capital, job openings and new hires, home sales, tourism, etc. This data provides a clear analytic framework for specific Plan strategies and initiatives. For a summary of these and other economic indicators, refer to WBC’s monthly Chicago By The Numbers.
Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot & World Business Chicago Announce the Inaugural Chicago Venture Summit Future-of-Food
More than 600 founders, Fortune 500 leaders, and investors are attending Chicago’s flagship food innovation conference hosted by World Business Chicago. CHICAGO, May 26, 2022 – Chicago Mayor Lori
The Rattan L. Khosa SeedCon is Chicago Booth’s flagship entrepreneurship and venture capital conference. As the world seemed to stand still amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, investors, entrepreneurs, an
World Business Chicago Partners with Global Fintech Leader tastytrade for ThinkChicago Fintech Summit
“Innovation is the many years of study and analysis, which then finds itself in the path of an emerging opportunity” -Linwood Ma, tastytrade CTO World Business Chicago was proud to…
CBO Collective Announces $1 Million Grant from Google.org to Provide Job Placement and Support to Jobseekers from Under-Resourced Chicago Communities
CHICAGO — The Community Based Organization Collective today announced a $1 million grant from Google.org to help place hundreds of jobseekers on Chicago’s South and West sides into in-demand caree