Chicago Tourism Metrics, April 2015
Making Chicago a premier destination for tourism and entertainment is a major part of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Plan for Economic Growth & Jobs that WBC is implementing to drive growth in Chicago. In April, Chicago hosted the 2015 NFL Draft, a three-day football festival which attracted 200,000 visitors. “While the NFL Draft put our skyline in the spotlight, it was Chicagoans who showed why our city the perfect home for marquee events,” said Mayor Emanuel in a recent press release.
The following points summarize recent hotel and air passenger trends for Chicago:
- Chicago’s overall hotel occupancy rate was 79.3% in April, up 2.7 percentage points from 76.6% in April 2014.
- The overall average daily rate (ADR) was $200.47 in April, up from $174.60 a year ago.
- The Chicago Central Business District has 106 hotel properties comprising 37,049 rooms. Recently opened hotels include Loews Chicago Hotel (400 rooms), Virgin Hotel Chicago (250 rooms), The Godfrey Hotel (221 rooms), and SOHO House Chicago (40 rooms).
- More than 3,200 new rooms are expected to open in the next two years, including AC by Marriott (217 rooms, June 2015), Kimpton Hotel (281 rooms, 2016), Nobu Hotel (93 rooms, 2016) and Marriott Marquis McCormick Place (1,200 rooms, 2017).
- O’Hare – recently renamed the world’s busiest airport in terms of flight operations – and Midway International airports served a combined 8.16 million air passengers in March 2015, a 7.8% increase year-over-year.
Hotel average daily rate (ADR) and occupancy trends are illustrated in the following charts:
Chaired by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, World Business Chicago is the public-private partnership leading the Plan for Economic Growth and Jobs in order to drive business development, cultivate talent, and put Chicago at the forefront of the global economy.
WBC’s “Economic Briefs” track indicators from month to month to gauge the strength of several aspects of Chicago’s economy, including unemployment, population, venture capital, job openings and new hires, home sales, tourism, etc. This data provides a clear analytic framework for specific Plan strategies and initiatives. For a summary of these and other economic indicators, refer to WBC’s monthly Chicago By The Numbers.
Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot & World Business Chicago Announce the Inaugural Chicago Venture Summit Future-of-Food
More than 600 founders, Fortune 500 leaders, and investors are attending Chicago’s flagship food innovation conference hosted by World Business Chicago. CHICAGO, May 26, 2022 – Chicago Mayor Lori
The Rattan L. Khosa SeedCon is Chicago Booth’s flagship entrepreneurship and venture capital conference. As the world seemed to stand still amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, investors, entrepreneurs, an
World Business Chicago Partners with Global Fintech Leader tastytrade for ThinkChicago Fintech Summit
“Innovation is the many years of study and analysis, which then finds itself in the path of an emerging opportunity” -Linwood Ma, tastytrade CTO World Business Chicago was proud to…
CBO Collective Announces $1 Million Grant from Google.org to Provide Job Placement and Support to Jobseekers from Under-Resourced Chicago Communities
CHICAGO — The Community Based Organization Collective today announced a $1 million grant from Google.org to help place hundreds of jobseekers on Chicago’s South and West sides into in-demand caree