Chicago by the Numbers
World Business Chicago tracks indicators from month to month to gauge the strength of several aspects of Chicago’s economy, including employment in major sectors, residential and office real estate data, price and purchasing indexes, freight demand, and auto and truck sales. Note: employment data refers to payroll job estimates for the city of Chicago and is not adjusted for seasonality.
Key trends evident this month include:
- The Chicago tourism industry observed record-breaking growth as 50.15 million travelers visited Chicago in 2014. This is a 3.4% increase over last year’s 48.48 million visitors.
- Chicago’s unemployment rate decreased to 6.2% in December 2014, marking the city’s lowest unemployment rate since August 2008. Concurrently, unemployment insurance claims decreased by 8.9% in January 2015 from the year prior.
- The Chicago (city) economy has expanded by an estimated 8,710 nonfarm jobs since December 2013, mostly attributed to professional and business services (+4,891) and education and health services (+3,963). The construction sector posted the fastest YOY growth rate, 4.4%, or a growth of 1,151 jobs.
- Two consumer sentiment indexes reported robust gain over the last year. The Consumer Sentiment Index and Consumer Confidence Index posted respective increases of 16.9 and 23.5 percentage points from December 2013.
- New residential building permits in the city increased to 5,750 units year-to-date in December, a 90% improvement compared to the same time period in 2013.
- Air cargo volume for O’Hare and Midway Airports posted a 10.2% YOY change.
These and other trends are illustrated in this month’s Chicago By The Numbers.
A Chat about Alicia Ponce’s Work
Tell us a bit about the industry you are in and the work you focus on. Architecture is an industry where we get to define a city’s culture and history. …
Getting to Know DCASE Commissioner Erin Harkey
Tell us about where you grew up and tell a special high school memory/story. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and went to Santa Monica High School; high…
Black History Spotlight - Blake Anthony-Johnson
A Conversation with Blake-Anthony Johnson, CEO and President of Chicago Sinfonietta Blake-Anthony Johnson’s multifaceted career has included work as a performer, collaborator, recording artist, and
Black History Spotlight - Leon Walker
Meet Leon Walker Over the past 20 years, Leon I. Walker, Esq., has spearheaded cutting-edge community development projects that have generated thousands of new jobs and brought grocery stores and&hell